Friday 29 June 2012

Week Word: Scent

Emma chose this week's word, scent.

I've gone with the rather old fashioned interpretation of scent meaning perfume. (Does anyone still call it scent? I can only imagine my grandmother saying it!)

I've worn the same perfume for years, Angel by Thierry Mugler. It's a slightly controversial one, as I know a lot of people really hate it (you can read some amusing reviews here and here) but I think it's very dependent on your own skin chemistry. I don't like it in the bottle or walking past the display in a department store, but I do like it on my skin. 

Apparently its 'notes' include melon, coconut, mandarin orange, cassia, jasmine, bergamot, cotton candy, honey, apricot, blackberry, plum, orchid, peach, lily-of-the-valley, red berries, rose, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, vanilla, dark chocolate and caramel. That's a lot of stuff to go wrong, but on me I think I get the last four and that's it. Much nicer.

I've also never had anyone recoil in horror, and occasionally people do tell me I smell nice. So I'm going to stick with it. (I also can't find any other perfumes that don't smell like either Impulse Body Spray circa 1998 or everyone's grandmother on me...)

Anyway, a watercolour sketch of my current bottle. 




And visit Emma to find out what other scents we have this week.

4 comments:

  1. Angel sounds lovely on you! Despite being a perfume hoarder I don't think I've ever tried it, I'll go and take a sniff soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth a sniff, but definitely try it on you rather than in the air as it seems to make a big difference!

      Delete
  2. Angel is a nice perfume, but the problem is that people often just put too much of it on. In moderation it's delicate and you can pick out individual notes, but when it's too strong all you get is the vanilla and tonka bean. Seems like you've got the balance right!

    Lovely sketch btw :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely. I have a one-squirt policy - no one should be able to smell your perfume unless they could hear you if you were whispering!

      Delete